Monday, January 13, 2014

Super Gully on Lost River Peak - May 5, 2013

I'd been hearing about Super Gully for awhile, and with the great snow conditions on Sunday I'd say it lived up to it's name! My friend Troy borrowed my extra skis (my fat skis) for his first time ski mountaineering. He did great considering the size of my spare planks and that he hadn't been on skis in a couple years. At 6:50 car to car the day felt almost casual compared to our 17 hour roundtrip post-holing horrow show on the east ridge of Williams Peak the week before. Couldn't have asked for a better day!

Troy finding his way through the trees:
[linked image]

Morning light on the mountains across the valley:
[linked image]

Climbing the gully with Troy aways behind me slowed by my giant powder skis on his back:
[linked image]

Panorama:
[linked image]

Summit!
[linked image]

Troy coming back across the exposed summit ridge:
[linked image]

The top half of the couloir contained a nice layer of windblown powder, while the bottom was perfect corn:
[linked image]

Looking back at what we just skied from the drive out:
[linked image]

No comments:

Post a Comment